- Call to order: The Skype meeting was called to order at 4:00 p.m. by President Forrest Hasty. About 190 members and board were in attendance
- President’s Remarks: Forrest Hasty
- Welcomed and introduced all board members.
- Welcome to MGEC’s first virtual Annual Meeting. It is a privilege to represent you, as President of MGEC. I was appointed President in February, and like all Presidents before me, I simply want to improve MGEC. For me that includes keeping MGEC on track utilizing a schedule for each year. This will make sure we are doing things on time, as well as proactively. I also want to define the structure of MGEC, which involves writing Position Descriptions for staff as well as Board Members, and better defining what our committees do. MGEC still has over 90% of folks that are represented as Full Members. It is great to see this amount of support; however, we don’t just rely on dues, we rely on voluntary contributions of time and/or talent. Please consider becoming a worksite Member Representative or running for MGEC’s Board of Directors in the fall election cycle. Other positions will be available in the fall as well, such as the Vice President and President position. While serving on the board you will meet new people, establish relationships, collaborate, share talents, build new skills, and develop a better understanding of how MGEC functions. Contact any MGEC Officer, Director, or Staff member for more information on what opportunities are available. Thank you for attending the Annual Meeting.
- Awards: Jerry Kotzenmacher –
Hannah Sinclair, daughter of member Timothy Sinclair and Victoria Johnson, daughter of member Craig Johnson were awarded the family member scholarships. Golden Slide Rule was awarded to Bernard Izevbekhai. Connie Mentor Scholarship was awarded to Alan Dale. The Distinguished Citizen Award was presented to Ben Zwart. Congratulations to all!
- Secretary’s Report: Secretary Jerry Kotzenmacher presented the 2019 minutes for approval. A motion to approve the minutes was offered by Kevin Schull. 2nd by past president Mohammad Dehdashti. Approved by voice vote.
- Treasurers Report: Treasurer Gene Hicks presented the report for approval for the 2020/2021 report. Number as shown on the meeting packet. A motion to approve the report was offered by Hein Le. 2nd by Paul Miller. Motion was approved by voice vote.
- Administration Assistant Kari Torkelson – Currently 1102 members. Free ethics class’s for full members. Honorary life members are retired from the state and listed in the meeting packet.
- Executive Director Dana Wheeler – COVID 19 – Contract has currently passed legislation but with conditions. Hard to know what may happen. First year 2.25 increase should pass. The second year 2.5 increase is in question. The senate held off this increase until June 30, 2021 and only if the state shows a surplus. This was the only modification to the contract. It is not known if the Senate can legally can do this. Insurance would be a strong reason to get back to the original contract.
- The Minnesota zoo is the only state agency to layoff worker. State colleges and universities could be next. No talk of other state layoffs. All state employees are 7% of the total State budget.
- No return to office for State employees who can work at home. Approximately 46% of state employees can and must work at home.
- State fair and other working conditions such as no 95 mask ….MGEC needs write up on condition. We can then look into the situation. P1 and P2 positions should ask for vacation extensions if needed.
- Adjourn: A motion was made to adjourn by Fernando Nacionales and seconded by Ethan Peterson. Passed by voice vote to adjourn at 5:02 pm.
Jerry Kotzenmacher Dana Wheeler
Secretary Executive Director